The home to a prosperous merchant, Robert Johnston, the house was built in 1750 and is one of the oldest surviving structures. It served as a post office for many years. The original house received an addition, incorporating one exterior chimney for both sections before 1800. In 1810, Lucy Johnston, Robert Johnston’s widow; sold the house to John Hildrup and Maryann Johnston. The house changed hands a few more times before Philip Johnston sold one-half of Lot 31 to John S. Quesenberry, who died in 1846.
–About Courtesy of “Hidden Village: Port Royal, Virginia 1744 – 1981″ by Ralph Emmett Fall